You might as well paint a target right on my face because today I will become even less popular than I usually am. Today I am going to say something nice about Congress.
Are you kidding me? Why?
No, but thank you for asking. The reason I am going to do this is because I just spent a few minutes watching television – big mistake. I saw a part of this show (which will remain nameless because I don’t want to give them any publicity) where a group of people sat around in an “office-type” environment and did nothing but criticize and make fun of others. That was it. That was all. That was the whole show. It was hideous.
Lazy or scared?
This show is popular, and I began to wonder why – and why is it that this is now the pervasive way to behave in our society: mean, critical, rude and demeaning of others? Face it, this is now the American Way: selfish, rude and egotistical. We take great pleasure in bringing pain to others; and this is especially true if a person is perceived as “good.”
Are we too lazy to say something nice about a person? Does it take too much effort to express positive words? Or are we just to scared because we will stick out of the crowd and be noticed, and therefore WE will become the next target? Why do we choose to simply follow the crowd?
So, today, I do an about face, and say something nice about a group of people who are probably the least likeable in America: Congress. Here are my thoughts about “What is Good about Congress.”
6. Members of Congress are smart. I bet most of them went to college, even if they don’t act like they have a brain in their heads half the time. Still, the potential is there.
5. Members of Congress are successful. Most are either business owners or lawyers or have achieved great things in their lives – until they take the oath of office. They are people who know how to get things done. I think they should keep that in mind more often.
4. Members of Congress have nice clothes. I have noticed that the members of Congress usually have nicely-tailored suits, even the women. You can buy nice suits when you have a lot of money. Most of the people who voted for them do not have nice suits. The men usually have only one color suit, and most of the women wear red when they want to stand out for the TV cameras. But that’s okay because…
3. Members of Congress have nice hair. I noticed that even when the wind is blowing, their hair never moves. I guess they have a line item in their expense accounts for hair care products and fancy combs or something.
2. Members of Congress are friendly, especially when there is a crowd. They like to smile and shake hands and pose in ways that make them look happy, smart, and attractive. Unfortunately, when they are alone and the TV news cameras are rolling, they start to get angry and say bad things about other members, so it is best to herd them into bunches and turn the cameras off.
And the best thing about Congress is:
1. If we don’t like the job they are doing, we can vote them out of office!
Today is November 5th – ELECTION DAY – get out there and do your duty! People have died so that we can have this freedom. Don’t throw it away.
(This message was not paid for by any political party. In fact, they all probably only see the bad things in the members of their opposition. It was posted to promote common sense, target on my face or not – smile!)