It’s time to get corny, and I don’t care. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day, and I really believe in the TRUE meaning of the holiday. To me, Thanksgiving does NOT mean food or football or shopping – and I have probably alienated at least half of America by now – but it’s true. The day means so much more to me.
It’s List Time Again
Sometimes I feel guilty because I have so much and I see others who do not. How did I get so lucky? I don’t know. Maybe it’s just that I appreciate what I have, and these things seem small or are too often overlooked or taken for granted.
That being said, I offer you this list of (some of) the things for which I am thankful:
1. MY FAMILY: I will look around the Thanksgiving table and be thankful that I have a close and loving family; and that those who traveled made it safely to my house to share this day with me.
2. MY FRIENDS: I am thankful that I have friends who care about me and accept me for who I am.
3. MY HOME: I am thankful that I have a roof over my head where everyone can gather, when so many people in this world do not.
4. MY DEPARTED FAMILY AND FRIENDS: I am thankful that those who have departed this world still live on in my heart and fill me with as much love as when they were alive.
5. FOOD: I am thankful that we have food on our table. I do not care what food it is, or if the turkey is dry, or even if they run out of stuffing before the dish gets to me. These things do not matter one bit. I am simply thankful that I live in a country where we can share in the bountiful abundance – and I will NOT overeat, as that is counter to the true meaning of the day. Far too many people in the world go to bed with empty bellies. I am blessed to have food.
6. LEFTOVERS: We are so lucky to have so much food that it will be left over after the meal is done. How many people in this world don’t even have enough for a meal in the first place? I will not take this blessing for granted.
7. MY PASSION: I am thankful that I am in the position to try my hand at one of my life’s passions: writing. This is my dream job, and my dream is beginning to come true. I give thanks for this.
8. MY FRIDAY: I am thankful that I am NOT going shopping on BLACK FRIDAY! Do you know how many panic attacks that would induce? Enough said.
9. MY CHRISTMAS LIST: I am thankful that I do not want anything for Christmas. I have everything I need. In case you missed it, see items 1 through 7 again. That being said, I will gratefully accept any gifts that come my way (I never said I was a complete idiot).
10. YOU: I am thankful that you read this list all the way to the end!